Understanding the Trauma of the Divorce Process

Divorce can be traumatic ...

Mar 7

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Child and/or Adolescent ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

My Child is Resisting Me As A Parent. What Can I Do?

Children resist their parents for many reasons. Sometimes they might feel like they need to protect the other parent; they are overly stressed, rebellious, feel abandoned, or ashamed. Sometimes one parent will actively work to turn the child against the other parent.When a child’s separation ...

Jul 26

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Blended Family Issues, Child and/or ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

The Collateral Damage of Parental Alienation

Written by Monica Borschel, Ph.D. and Charles Kronzek, Michigan Trial AttorneyParental alienation is the deliberate or accidental turning of your children against the other parent. Deliberate alienation is badmouthing the other parent, family, ethnicity, culture, or religion. Part of the alienation ...

Jun 6

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Adjusting to Change / Life ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Are You or Your Ex-Spouse Considering Relocating with Your Children ...

Written by Monica Borschel and Lisa Demonte Cervone

Jun 6

Categories: Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Divorce / Divorce Adjustment, ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Domestic Violence – Psychologist and Prosecutor for Victims and ...

Written by Monica Borschel, Ph.D. and Special Private Prosecutor for victims and family law attorney Brian Faucett.A yearly estimate of ten million ...

Apr 3

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Child and/or Adolescent Issues, ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

The Secret to Keep Your Child Feeling Secure During a Divorce

Matthew has been worried about his wife for over two years. She has fallen into a depressive state and has begun to neglect their toddler. His wife has been to therapy but refuses to see a psychiatrist. Matthew is also starting to feel neglected. He loves his wife but is unsure how long he can stay ...

Feb 27

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Attachment Issues, Child ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Counselling Children of Divorced Parents: Expressing Feelings

Although each child is unique, it should be noted that children tend to show several predictable responses upon learning that their parents are divorcing. Children in this situation most often experience varying degrees of sadness, despondency and anxiety among other related emotions. However, young children usually express feelings through though ...

Nov 3

Categories: Anxiety, Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Divorce / Divorce ...

Written By:
Andrew Adler, Ph.D.

GO

Trauma Sensitive Yoga For Children

Apr 23

Categories: Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Child Development, Mindfulness, ...

Written By:
Krisa Qiu

GO

How can I calm down my child?

The beauty of children is that they seem to be living in the moment.  They really feel their feelings and go all-in with the present.  The downside to this can be immense emotions ...

Mar 25

Categories: Anxiety, Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Child Development, Parenting

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Diagnosing Autism in Girls: Recent Developments

The criteria for an Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is the same for both boys and girls based on widely accepted diagnostic systems.It has been widely reported that boys are four times more likely than girls to be diagnosed with ASD. There are many reasons why this disparity exists. One reason may be that parents, teachers and other adults in ...

Nov 8

Categories: Autism spectrum disorders, Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Child ...

Written By:
Andrew Adler, Ph.D.

GO

Autism and Its Diagnosis

By Andrew Adler, Ph.D., Director and Clinical Psychologist, Adler Family CentreAutism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is a diagnosis that describes individuals who have difficulties with social interaction and communication and engage in repetitive behaviour or inflexible thinking, among other difficulties. Those with ASD may have developed little ...

Oct 16

Categories: Autism spectrum disorders, Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Child ...

Written By:
Andrew Adler, Ph.D.

GO

Taming Your Child’s Test Anxiety

The dropping temperatures may be an unwelcome sign that winter is almost here. The increased anxiety that many kids feel this time of year is a definite sign that tests and exams are not far off. What can you do as a parent to tame your child’s test anxiety?Perhaps the most important strategies your child can develop are to improve study ...

Sep 27

Categories: Anxiety, Child and/or Adolescent Issues

Written By:
Andrew Adler, Ph.D.

GO

Parents and Teens: Who’s the Boss?

Ask a teenager raised in a Western culture about who’s the boss at home. More than likely, the response will be a confident “I am.” Ask the same question of one of the teenager’s parents and you are likely to hear a resigned “I wish I were.”Being a teenager and the parent of one poses considerable challenges. ...

Jul 11

Categories: Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Child Development, Parenting

Written By:
Andrew Adler, Ph.D.

GO

Young and Stressed Out in Hong Kong: Help Your Child Manage Stress ...

Hong Kong, like most international cities, is highly competitive and extremely fast paced. No one seems to know this better that parents. Our children are educated and socialized in an environment in which friends and classmates are highly focused on academic and social success. This environment is a breeding ground for high levels of ...

Jul 6

Categories: Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Parenting

Written By:
Andrew Adler, Ph.D.

GO

Speaking To Your Child About Divorce

Divorce is a difficult situation for adults, let alone children and teenagers.  Parents who are separating might be experiencing their own grief, sadness and anxiety.  As the adult, it is important that you are able to be the secure base for your child or teenager during this time.  Children are intuitive and can sense the mood of ...

Jun 21

Categories: Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Child Development, Divorce / Divorce ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO
Page(s)123