Why do I feel like I am suffocating around my parents?

From time to time, an adult will seek my help because they feel like they can’t breathe around their parents.  The feeling of not being able to breathe could be from anxiety or panic.  Sometimes, we hold our breath without thinking when we are waiting for something to happen, when ...

Aug 28

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Anxiety, Emotional Abuse, Emotional ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Why Do People Lash Out?

Lashing out can happen for multiple reasons.  Sometimes the person who lashes out feels a temporary release of stress and anger, but might later feel embarrassed or ashamed.  Lashing out can be a response to past trauma, a self-protective response or a way to control and devalue others. ...

Aug 21

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Anger Management, Emotional ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Will it ever get any better?

Life includes a certain amount of suffering. Some of the sufferings include rejection, failure, loss and trauma.  When we are going through a difficult time, it can be hard to see the light. When we are depressed or sad, we can only remember the depressed or sad times.  It can be ...

Aug 5

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Anxiety, Depression, Emotional ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Grief is a natural process.

Grief is one of the most tragic and beautiful experiences that one can go through. Our heart aches, and we yearn for the one that we lost. We see them in crowds, we remember their scent and dream about them. We might feel confused and mentally slow. We might become angry or distant. Just as a snake sheds his skin to grow, grief can lead us to ...

Jun 21

Categories: Adult psychological development, Emotional Intelligence, Grief, Loss, ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Understanding Your Child's Behaviour and Emotions

Many parents struggle with what they consider to be bad behavior from their children.  Demands from work and relationships can lead to a sense of feeling overwhelmed.  The last thing an over-stressed parent has patience for is children who misbehave.  The following is a guide to behavioral management to use at home to gain control ...

Jun 21

Categories: Adult psychological development, Child Development, Emotional ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

How to better manage your days when you are depressed.

Depression is a liar. It tells us that we are fundamentally flawed and that we should hide. Depression is exhausting. It's difficult to reach out for help because we don't want to burden anyone. Sometimes when you are depressed you need to do opposite of what you feel.1. Reach out for professional help. You might feel like you ...

Jun 21

Categories: Adult psychological development, Depression, Emotional Intelligence, ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

How Can I Express How I Really Feel?

Sometimes we might have a difficult time expressing how we feel because we are afraid of how others will react or what they might think of us. We might have a hard time expressing how we feel because we are not sure what it is we are feeling. Emotions can be complex. Part of it might be because we tell ourselves that how we feel doesn't ...

Jun 21

Categories: Adult psychological development, Emotional Intelligence, Empathy, ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Speaking To Your Child About Divorce

Divorce is a difficult situation for adults, let alone children and teenagers.  Parents who are separating might be experiencing their own grief, sadness and anxiety.  As the adult, it is important that you are able to be the secure base for your child or teenager during this time.  Children are intuitive and can sense the mood of ...

Jun 21

Categories: Child and/or Adolescent Issues, Child Development, Divorce / Divorce ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Why Am I So Angry?

Humans have emotions for a reason.  Some emotions keep us safe, social and on a certain life path.  Anger is an emotion that tells others, "don't mess with me," or "I want to feel in control." Anger helps us to feel powerful and it can motivate us.  Anger is not a problem, but how we react to it can be.1. ...

Jun 21

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Anger Management, Control Issues, ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Am I sad or depressed?

Sadness is an emotion that slows us down and teaches us that we made a mistake, or that something or someone hurt us.  Usually, when we are sad, we are still able to get out of bed and maintain our daily routines.  Depression is a deeper emotion that often feels like darkness or heaviness.  We find ourselves unable to go about our ...

Jun 21

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Depression, Emotional ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Overcoming Rejection

Being rejected is a sign that you have pushed yourself out of your comfort zone and have tried to achieve something.  Rejection can sting and hurt our self-esteem if we don't manage it properly.  We can use rejection to learn and gain what we originally set out for. Here are some pointers on how you can use rejection to your ...

Jun 21

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Divorce / Divorce Adjustment, ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

3 Ways to Manage Your (Expat) Expectations

Often frustrated, disappointed, or angry? Learn how shifting your expectations can create more peace and well-being.Let's talk about expectations. You've recently moved to a new country, or perhaps you're an expat already well adjusted to living abroad. Do your expectations influence ...

Jun 5

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Anxiety, Emotional ...

Written By:
Robert Oleskevich @ Hero's Journey Therapy

GO

Reducing Emotional Stress by Hydrotherapy (Author: Ms Regina Zahara)

Reducing Emotional Stress by Hydrotherapy     Stress is the body's reaction to situations that seem dangerous or difficult. Stress causes the body to produce adrenaline hormones that function to defend themselves. Stress is a part of human life. Mild stress can stimulate and give a sense of more thinking and trying faster ...

Dec 22

Categories: Caregiver Issues / Stress, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Emotional ...

Written By:
Ms Regina Zahara

GO

How to stop your parents from ruining your relationship

A while back I was catching up with a friend I hadn’t seen for a while. We were meant to have a quick coffee and ended up spending a half-day together talking and talking.   I learnt that her relationship was not doing so well and that her mother in law was partly responsible for it. I ...

Mar 24

Categories: Codependency / Dependency, Couple Counseling, Emotional Intelligence, ...

Written By:
Dr Oberdan Marianetti

GO

Emotional Intelligence and your career

This infographic on the topic 'Emotional Intelligence and Your Career' which looks at how EQ (emotional intelligence) is the new IQ.See the full infographic below: Created by Brighton School of Business and Management ...

Dec 15

Categories: Career Development and Change, Emotional Intelligence

Written By:
Psych Mat Asia Editor

GO
Page(s)123