I am a shell of what I once was

Suzanne had been at the height of her career when she met her ex-husband, Mark. She felt like she had finally made it. She was loved by many and had financial security. On the other hand, Mark had just retired from a lucrative finance job.When they met, Mark was charming and overly courteous. He ...

Apr 21

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Complex PTSD, Emotional Abuse, Grief, ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

HOW CREATIVITY AND INNOVATION CAN SUPPORT YOUR HEALING JOURNEY

EMDR

Apr 21

Categories: Anxiety, Couple Counseling, Marital Counseling, Post Traumatic Stress ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

The Behaviour Sleuths Investigate…Pet Loss

In this series of the Behaviour Sleuths we investigate pet loss. If you have experienced pet loss or may be preparing to lose a pet, please join us to discuss research, personal experiences and resources.

Apr 11

Categories: Grief, Loss, Bereavement, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) / ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

You Don't Need To Suffer In Silence

Mark came from a prominent yet abusive ...

Mar 7

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Anxiety, Attachment Issues, Post ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

I Just Wanted to be Loved

Elizabeth sat on her therapist’s couch, trying to answer questions about her life as a teenager.  She had dabbled in drugs, ran away, used men for her own ends and chronically shoplifted.  Elizabeth was nothing like that now.  She was a successful lawyer who valued her ...

Mar 7

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Anxiety, Complex PTSD, Emotional ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Which Type of Lonely are You?

If you were to google types of loneliness, you might be surprised at how many lonely types there are.  One loneliness researcher found eighty different types of loneliness.  Loneliness can range from existential loneliness to physical loneliness.  Any loneliness can lead to feeling ...

Feb 21

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Adjusting to Change / Life ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

I am always angry, and I hate it

Andrew walked through the busy streets of Hong Kong, waiting for someone to bump into him.  As he walked through Central, people would look at their phones as they walked into him.  He tried not to get angry, but the tension would build until he would snap and shoulder check or push ...

Feb 10

Categories: Anger Management, Anxiety, Complex PTSD, Emotional Abuse, Post ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

WHAT IF, WHAT IF, WHAT IF... Coping With Stress, Anxiety and Overwhelm

Stress and anxiety can be motivating and healthy in just the right amount. Think of it as a well-being scale. Too little stress and we don’t get anything done. Yet too much pressure keeps our nervous system on a drive without any brakes. When our bodies undergo chronic stress, our immune ...

Feb 2

Categories: Anxiety, Caregiver Issues / Stress, Couple Counseling, Post Traumatic ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Come as you are - the beauty of online mental health

Aria had just hit crash.  She ...

Nov 17

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Anxiety, Complex PTSD, Depression, ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Crying is Nature's Detox

The tears began to well up in Jade’s eyes.  “don’t cry, don’t cry,” she told herself.  She was tired, and her broken heart was incredibly raw.  As a child, she was taught that showing negative emotions was a sign of weakness. As a result, she always felt ...

Nov 12

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Anxiety, Complex PTSD, Emotional ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

HOW TO USE SELF-COMPASSION AS A FORM OF SELF-CARE

“I’m going to fail; I just know it,” Andrea thought to herself before she started preparing for her exam. Then, her anxiety started to worsen, and she struggled to focus.  Even though Andrea had done well in school, she always felt like she wasn’t good enough ...

Nov 12

Categories: Anxiety, Complex PTSD, Mental Health in Asia, Post Traumatic Stress ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

TIRED? SORE? INFLAMED? IT MIGHT BE YOUR MENTAL HEALTH

Helena often felt like she had a chest infection. Her lungs felt tight, and she gasped for air. Was she suffering from pneumonia? When she visited the medical doctor, all her tests seemed to be normal. The doctor asked her, “What else is going on in your life? Are you stressed, anxious, ...

Nov 12

Categories: Anxiety, Complex PTSD, Depression, Health / Illness / Medical Issues, ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

My loyalty and commitment were used against me

Andrew was a marine who was taught that commitment and loyalty were what made a man brave.  These core values ...

Oct 28

Categories: Complex PTSD, Grief, Loss, Bereavement, Positive Psychology, Post ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

It was then that he realized he was unbreakable

Ryan grew up in the foster system.  There were pleasant and not so friendly foster homes.  He was in and out of the juvenile hall for crimes he committed to make ends meet.  Ryan’s basketball coach, Derek, understood Ryan’s situation, and he wanted him to turn ...

Oct 28

Categories: Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions, Attachment Issues, Complex ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

This is your hour…so what would you like to talk about?

“Hi, it’s nice to meet you.  I have never done this before ...

Oct 13

Categories: Anxiety, Complex PTSD, Mental Health in Asia, Post Traumatic Stress ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO
Page(s)12345